Saturday, May 04, 2013

ATM-Cash Withdrawal

What happens when the ATM machine has counted the notes and is about to dispense and the electricity supply goes of?

I had my lesson today in a hard way. Had gone to my son's school to pay the fees. Outside the school there is a SBI ATM. I waited for my turn, entered my card, punched my pin. After the usual preliminary details entered the amount and as the machine was counting the money the electricity supply went off! Apparently it was running on UPS and the UPS had come to its end. To my luck it shut down at the moment when it was to dispense the amount.

I got the message on my cell phone saying that the amount is debited from my account.Now, I was not sure whether the amount will come out after the electricity supply comes back. I call the SBI ATM help line as it is their ATM. The person at the other end listens to the details. Since I had used my HDFC card he says I need to contact HDFC. I want him to clarify whether the cash will come out of the machine after electricity comes back. He is not sure.

Using the internet on the mobile dig out the HDFC phone banking number. After the IVRS system I finally reach a human voice. It was fast but for me it seemed long as i was frustrated and irritated. This guy is good. He says the amount will not be dispensed. If for any reason more than 3 minutes elapses and the amount is not dispensed, it will not be dispensed. But he adds, since it is a SBI ATM he cannot guarantee. He also suggested that this would not have been the case if i would have accessed HDFC ATM!

During all this tamasha, the guard who is supposed to man the ATM is missing. Both HDFC and SBI persons inquired about him.

Now i am left wondering what to do. I decided to wait for the electricity to come back. Sat there like the security guard and was informing all the people who came there that the ATM is not working.

A new SBI branch is due to get open just oppose the ATM. I thought if there is a responsible person or guard there, I will go and clarify. There was a lady who appeared to be an officer. She was pretty sure that the amount will come out. When I mentioned about the 3 minute rule, she said that it was a previous rule and RBI has reversed that.

I waited outside the ATM for three and half hours. Finally the electricity cam back. The machine turned on. The booting of the computer happened and the screen showed the windows logo. The machine again made the sound of counting. I waited with bated breath.

The money was not dispensed. Only an empty slip cam from the receipt area. I was not sure whether i was happy, angry or sad.

I called the HDFC again and the same person came on call. I thanked him and said that he was right. He asked me further details and also confirmed that the amount was reversed to my account.

A very costly learning. When the electricity goes off when the amount is about to be dispensed, the cash will not be dispensed when the machine restarts.

No comments: